Code of Ethics Recognition Program
Eligibility and Guidelines for DSA
To participate in the Global Code of Ethics Recognition program “Follow the Code, Communicate the Code, Promote the Code” a DSA must:
- Implement minimum of five criteria from the three sections below but no less than one criteria from each section
- Demonstrate that the criteria were implemented prior to the end of the calendar year
- Commit to continue implementing the criteria through at least the next calendar year
Any DSA that complies with the minimum DSA criteria regarding the independent Code Administrator and the WFDSA compliant Code may participate in the program. To qualify as a “participant” DSAs should complete, on an annual basis, an application indicating that the requirements set forth for the initiative have been met. DSAs that do not comply with the minimum DSA criteria are temporarily ineligible to participate in the initiative. Each DSA’s qualifications will be reviewed by WFDSA.
Participants for 2012 (for activities completed prior to January 1, 2013) will be recognized via various WFDSA media and events. DSAs may apply at any time but must submit the completed forms no later than January 31, 2013.
To qualify for recognition under the Global Code of Ethics Recognition program, implement minimum of five criteria from the three sections below during 2012.
Section I–Communicate the Code
- Publish the Code-at-a-Glance brochure (print, website, DSA newsletters, etc.)
- Publish complaint handling procedure on the website
- Publish contact information (email, phone, address) for the Independent Code Administrator on the website
Section II–Promote the Code to Member Companies
- Require member companies to appoint a Code Responsibility Officer (CRO), who will serve as a liaison among member companies, DSA and the Independent Code Administrator and will be responsible for company’s adherence to the Code
- Conduct Code training for new / existing members
- Require member companies to submit a plan, with their annual dues payment, of how they are promoting the Code
Section III–Promote the Code to External Constituencies
- Distribute copies of the Code-at-a-Glance brochure (active link here) to government officials, consumer agencies, academia, media, etc.
- Obtain a “seal of approval” by local government / consumer protection agencies that can be used on all DSA and member company materials along with the DSA logo
- Include the Code-at-a-Glace brochure or reference to the Code (URL) on all DSA literature and newsletters and in all press materials / events
Apply for Recognition Now!
Recognition Form for DSAs
Application for Recognition for DSAs under the Global Code of Ethics Recognition program “Follow the Code, Communicate the Code, Promote the Code”
The direct selling industry has been in the forefront of the world business community in exploring globalization of its business opportunities and in initiating a self-regulatory approach for supporting ethical business behavior through its Code of Ethics. But the existence of these Codes does not automatically guarantee results–Codes must be Followed, Communicated and Promoted. Hence, effective Code publicity and promotion by DSAs and their member companies are essential for the following reasons:
- Increase awareness by the general public regarding the advantages of dealing with DSA members when buying products through the direct selling channel
- Communicate the good practices of DSA members to the media and consumer organizations
- Distinguish DSA members from rogue traders and incentivize rogue traders to improve their practices thus improving the reputation of the direct selling industry
- Give non-DSA members reason to join a national DSA and comply with its code
- Improve the reputation of direct selling and the benefits of self-regulation in the eyes of governments and regulators
To encourage companies to not only promote the Code, but to go above and beyond its requirements, the WFDSA CEO Council approved this global initiative to recognize DSAs and their member companies who will implement the ways to promote the Code in a way that will increase public awareness of the Code and ultimately underscore the value of upholding each of the Code’s provisions.
All companies whose DSA implemented the initiative are invited to participate in the recognition program and will gain recognition by completing at least five criteria outlined below. For those companies who are eligible for the recognition program, please ask your local DSA to send you the application form.
Applications Are Now Being Accepted for Activities Completed in 2012.